The series of articles, The Extraordinary History of a Unique People, as published in [magazine] Glasilo, was written in great haste. Data collected as a life-long hobby, about Wends, their origins and their language, are scattered over some 160 files on my computer and a few hundred printed pages of notes. Therefore, my text is obviously somewhat disorganized and at times repetitive. However, due to my advanced age and deteriorating health, I have decided not to spend time attempting to perfect it. I simply want to ensure that at least my most interesting discoveries do not get lost with my demise. I want the most important information which I have discovered on these subjects, mostly accidentally, to be available to the Wendish public and any one else interested.
This information will enlighten Wends about the shocking fact that the officially accepted and promoted version of Wendish history has little in common with their true history. Wends are equally misinformed about the crucial role which their truly unique and ancient language has played in the evolution of all classical and modern Indo-European languages and cultures they represented – in Europe and elsewhere.
The following text touches on the factual history of my people, which are most correctly described as Carinthian Wends. With gratitude to Ms. Mila Deacon, who spent most of her adult life collecting information on Wends’, their language and history, and authors like Dr. Šavli, Rev. Tomažič, Matej Bor and A. Ambrožič, a coherent and obvious truth has become transparent.
Wends are, without doubt, the direct descendants of the first European settlers, its first farmers. Up until the expansion of the Roman Empire, Wendish, also known as Keltic or Gallic, was spoken in Britain, throughout the European continent, wherever farming was practiced, as well as in most of Asia Minor except in Semitic-speaking areas.
Their ancestors, with their sun-god and mother-earth goddess veneration, had explored the entire globe already in Megalithic times. Their language had left its footprint wherever they had explored, traded or settled. One finds Wendish vocabulary in many native languages on all continents, from Northern Africa (even in a few places in Sub-Saharan Africa), to India, Japan and throughout America.
Many Wendish words have remained unchanged since the Ice Ages. Their language is the language of the original Indo-Europeans. It is the language of some of the oldest civilizations in the Middle East, for example, Akkadians, Babylonians, Phrygians and Ancient Persians. The first book ever written, the Gilgamesh Epic, was composed in a Wendish dialect. Its actual name was Gal(s)ki/Kel(ts)ki Mosh, The Celtic Man. Their language was the basis for all Indo-European languages, classical and modern. Their contribution to the evolution of the Roman Empire and its Latin language was substantial. Some of the great Roman Emperors were members of Gallic families, from the Tres Galliae and from Illyricum. Wends of Central Europe are the only people who have preserved their ancient language until today, although it may not survive much longer. The German government is forcing their children to learn Sorbish and Alpine Wends’ children are learning Serbo-Croatian, instead of their ancestral Wendish.
What took Ms. Deacon a few decades of researching about the subject of Wends, is in a very condensed form as follows:
- Wendish dialects – which include over 50 Wendish dialects spoken in the Republic of Slovenia alone, as well as dialects in the Austrian provinces of Carinthia and Styria, Northern Germany, Hungary and Northern Italy – are spoken by people who refer to themselves either as Slowends or as Slowinds. These two terms are reflected in German terms, “Windisch” and “Wendish”. The prefix “slo” in these names is derived from the original “Sol”, which is one of the names of the Wendish sun-god, used by Wends in pre-Christian times throughout central Europe, from Sweden to Sicily. Swedes still call themselves “Swensk”, a shortened version of Carinthian “Swowensk” and Slovene “Slowensk”. Italians still call the sun “sole”, and in English, there is the winter solstice, sun’s shortest day.
- In western Europe, Northern Africa, Asia Minor, and parts of North America, the sun-god, called Sol, was referred to as the “white” god, god of light. He was known also as Belin, Bel, or Baal. His name is based on the Wendish word bel, meaning white. Mother earth goddess also had various Wendish names. For example, her name in ancient Greece was Semela/Zemela (zemla, earth, in Wendish). In Babylon she was known as Baba (woman) and her name turns up even in Japan. Their third most important deity was the lord of the lower realms, the god of darkness, in Europe called Tchrni Bog, the Black God.
- The terms Wi(n)ds and We(n)ds – referred to by Germans as “Windisch” and “Wendisch”, by Italians as Veneti, in Scandinavian sagas as Vani (retained in Solvani,/Slo–), in Hungarian as Vendek – may be connected to the two Wendish Druidical sects, the “wids”, i.e., priests, seers, prophets, and the weds, i.e., sages, scientists, scholars. Both these terms occur also in the Indian Sanskrit and Buddhist texts. The name of Buddha itself is obviously of Wendish origin, derived from budit, to wake up, to be awake, to be open to insights and knowledge.
- The word Druid itself, as spelled by Romans, is doubtless a Wendish term, namely a trowid or a trowed. Druids studied and explored the various subjects, trinities, “troyitsas”, e.g., this world, the upper divine regions, the lower realms; sun-god, mother earth goddess, god of darkness; the past, the present, the future; body, soul, mind; matter/solids, liquids, gasses, etc.
- All the remaining Wendish dialects show characteristics of a truly ancient language. They are grammatically sophisticated, highly inclined, retaining – as the only European language – the ancient dual and various neuter forms. Some of these are still present in Sanskrit of ancient India, but are already much simplified in later Latin. Both these languages are based on Wendish. Wendish is, as a result of these many ancient linguistic characteristics and its complicated grammatical structure, an amazingly precise linguistic tool. Wendish, I discovered, is one of the oldest languages in existence, seemingly already existing in the Ice Age. This is evidenced in the substantial Wendish linguistic imprint in various parts of the globe – even in the far east and America. Moreover,
- Wends are what linguists and historians refer to today as Continental Celts. The Continental Celtic language is, in fact, what we know today as the Wendish language. Having observed a substantial Wendish vocabulary in all modern European languages, there is no doubt in my mind that modern Wends are the last remnants of Continental Celts and, as such, they are the last remaining speakers of their ancient Continental Celtic language.
- Until about 200 B.C., Wendish was spoken by a great majority of Europeans, particularly by farmers, Europe’s first permanent settlers who had arrived in Europe from the Middle East and from Northern Africa after the last Ice Age. However, the first wave of Wendish settlers may have reached Europe already during the last warm period in the Ice Ages, around 42,000 years B.C. Because, up to the last century, farmers formed the overwhelmingly largest population in all western societies, Wendish was, in fact, the lingua franca of pre-Roman and pre-Christian Europe.
- The decline of the Wendish language in Europe – now surviving only in some 2 million Wendish speakers in five Central European states, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Italy and Slovenia – was caused by two historic phenomena: (a) the founding and the spread of the Roman Empire, which caused the formation of Romance languages in Southern and Western Europe and (b) the introduction of the new Bible-based religions into the formerly Wendish-speaking pagan territories of Northern and Central Europe and British Isles, which resulted in the evolution of all modern Germanic languages.
- Wends played major roles in both decisive historic events, i.e., the formation of the Roman Empire, as well as the introduction of Christianity to Europe by the Franks, with their Holy Roman Empire, the later Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. Some Wendish tribes contributed to the creation Latin, as well as to the growth of the Roman Empire itself. Many other Wendish tribes became victims of Rome’s expansion. Yet others remained its allies. Wends, who lived farther north, resisted the onslaught of Rome and managed to retain their independence and language much longer. However, one by one, even they eventually succumbed to the brutal force of proselytizing Franks.
- Wendish is actually what is now called the original Indo-European language – on which all modern and classical Indo-European languages, i.e., Romance, Slavic and Germanic languages, Sanskrit, as well as Ainu, Japanese and Algonquian languages, etc. – are based. Wendish is the only language which qualifies for this position, being the only language well represented in all Indo-European languages. It is not a proto- or pre-Indo-European language.
- The new Romance and Germanic languages of Western, Southern, Central and Northern Europe have evolved comparatively recently, on the basis of Wendish dialects, due to foreign occupations, namely that of Romans and Franks.
- The modern Slavic languages of Eastern Europe have not undergone an equally drastic change from the original Indo-European, i.e., Wendish, as did those in the West. The reason being that most of them have evolved without foreign invasions or prolonged occupations. In contrast to Western Europe, their conversion to the new religion had not been imposed by a foreign power introducing a foreign tongue. It had taken place much later and was due to their own rulers’ voluntary conversion, and spread among their subjects in their own language. Nevertheless, modern Slavic languages differ greatly from each other, and from Wendish, in their vocabularies and in their simplified grammatical structure. As this difference is not due to foreign occupation, it allowed a considerably larger Wendish linguistic imprint in modern Slavic languages. They differ from the original Indo-European Wendish due to the intermarriage of Wendish farmers with various foreign speaking nomadic populations, who had eventually decided to settle and marry among them. There are some exceptions. For instance, Bulgarian and Serbo-Croatian evolved under a protracted (500 years long) Ottoman occupation.
- This fact, namely that Slavic languages had remained linguistically comparatively closer to ancient Wendish, contributed to the confusion of European scholars – already brainwashed by Christian admirers of Roman and Germanic cultures and accomplishments – and further diminished their objectivity. As public servants, they had to follow their governments’ policies when researching the early European history and the historic role of pagan Wends. Prejudices against, and demonization of pagans, built up during the millennium-long religious wars against them, followed by equally fanatic expansionist nationalist wars, have firmly established the presently universally accepted distorted and falsified versions of their histories. This was done to such an extent and over such a long period of time that today few, if any, scholars question its reliability. They copy from earlier historians and fail to do independent research.
- Not only West, but also East European scholars, led by Russians, continue to support and propagate this invented version of European history for the same nationalistic, empire-building reasons. Official histories have created in Europe a clear and deep division between the east and the west. They are a convenient excuse for aggression into each other’s territories. They support the expansionist policies of Germans and allow Russia to widen its political influence over the Slavic speaking territories, including those belonging to Wends.
- The status quo in the prevalent historic perceptions is likely to be fanatically defended by Germans, Italians, and Russians alike. German governments have followed policies of settlement and annexation of Slavic territories in Eastern Europe ever since they had, in the 15th century, firmly established their Holy Christian Empire of the German Nation. They pursued these expansionist goals on the pretext that Slavs are not real Europeans, but primitive invaders into Germanic and Italic lands, arriving from Asia rather late in recorded history. They demonized Slavs to such an extent, that their pride will not allow them now to admit that they have the same blood running in their own veins, as have those whom they had been trying for centuries to remove from the map of Europe.
- As mentioned, it seems that Wendish was perfected already in the Ice Age. Its dialects were not only spoken by some Ice Age hunting and gathering tribes (e.g., the first population in Cornwall and Japan), but also by some of the earliest farming communities and advanced civilizations in Europe, as well as in Northern Africa, India and in Asia Minor (Akkadia, Babylon, Phrygia, Cilicia, Paphlagonia, etc.). Wendish Akkadian remained the lingua franca of the Middle East up to its invasion by Rome, and the later Arab occupation of Northern Africa. Arabic was spread throughout these regions, along with the Quran and their Muslim faith.
- A close relationship seems to have existed between Wendish-speaking societies and the expansion of the megalithic cultures, with their sun-god and mother-earth-goddess veneration – judging from the name Solwendi itself, and by their linguistic imprint found in languages spoken today wherever megalithic cultures, with their astronomic temples, had once flourished.
- Wendish has miraculously survived until today and continues to be spoken by over 2 million Wends in Central Europe – despite the creation of new languages due to Roman occupation and the introduction of Bible-based religions (Christian and Muslim) by Franks into formerly Wendish-speaking territories.
- Today’s German, Austrian, Italian and Hungarian governments, assisted by the legislation of the European Union – and that of the Slovene government itself – continue the destruction of the ancient Wendish language. These policies are carried out willingly by Wends themselves, unaware of their true identity, under the false assumption that their fictitious official history is true and based on facts.
- The Greek historian Polybius, and various Roman historians, may help to explain why there are more than 50 different Wendish dialects in the small area of the Slovene Republic alone.
- I found an extensive Wendish vocabulary in the modern Japanese language, seemingly due to a second wave of Wendish settlers in Japan, arriving by sea, occurring sometime after the Ice Age, when the sun-god veneration was already established in farming communities.
- I found a rich Wendish vocabulary also in the Ainu language of the white aborigines of Japan, indicating a much earlier Wendish settlement – seemingly as early as the last Ice Age, when Japanese islands were still part of the Eurasian continent.
- I discovered the fact that Wendish forms also a large part of the vocabulary of several American native languages, particularly those of the Algonquian language family. For example, I found it in the Migmaq and the Cree languages of Eastern and Central North America.
- I found a Wendish linguistic footprint also in several other native American languages in the south-east and along the Pacific coast, in North, Central and South America, as well as in some Pacific Islands.
- The history of Wends and their language, as presented today by all official educational and political institutions in Europe – even those of the only independent Wendish state, Slovenia – is obviously falsified and fictionalized.
- Because the histories of various nations do not exist in a vacuum, but are closely interconnected, related to, and affected by all neighbouring states – the current official versions of histories of most other European nations are obviously contorted and falsified to the same extent as is that of Wends. Most of the greatest and highly venerated European historic heroes and personalities, now claimed by Englishmen, Frenchmen, Germans and Italians as their own, are in fact Wends, with purely Wendish names. One of these is the greatest “Germanic” national hero, Arminius, and another is their adored and wise priestess/druidess Veleda, admired even by Romans.
- What German scholars claim to be their two earliest “Germanic inscriptions”, “proving” that Germanic tribes were literate already in the Iron Age, are in fact written in Wendish dialects.
- The “Germanic” tribe of the Cheruski, and many other “Germanic” tribes, for example Marcomanni, Cimbri and Teutoni, mentioned by classical writers, were not “Germanic” but Wendish.
- My interpretation – which contradicts the current, generally accepted interpretation of the term “Germani”, as used by classical Roman and Greek writers, including Caesar, Tacitus and Pliny – is more logical and more likely to be correct than the officially accepted version.
- Several passages in Tacitus‘ Germania and Herodotus‘ History, consistently claimed by European, particularly German scholars, as being erroneous, are in fact correct. All of them happen to confirm my own findings and support my conclusion that the official history versions are misleading or outright wrong.
Each and every point from the above list is explained in a very detailed form. These explanations are the results of Ms. Deacon’s haphazard “research”, with complete lists of Wendish words, discovered in various modern and classical languages and ancient texts, and do appear on her website under the “Articles” section: